Dear Chief Secretary to the Treasury,
I'm afraid to tell you there's no money left.
Signed, Liam Byrne

(Outgoing Labour Chief Secretary to the Treasury. May 2010)
.
.

Friday 28 August 2009

Kennedy.

.
I've tried, believe me I've tried, but I can't shed a single tear for Edward Kennedy.

I keep remembering Mary Jo Kopechne and how she died at Chappaquiddick, and how he left her there whilst he went to talk to his "aides" instead of calling the Police. I keep remembering that he was lucky not to serve a custodial sentence, and that the truth of the incident will have died with him.

Mr Brown, as my Prime Minister, is meant to speak on my behalf. He said this
"Senator Edward Kennedy will be mourned not just in America but in every continent.
There probably are people on every continent who have mourned his passing, and I know Mr Brown is meant to say nice things about our "friends", and it's bad form to speak ill of the dead. But even so Mr Brown didn't seem to worry too much when he said the recession started in America, and he didn't seem too bothered that America was irritated when Megrahi was let out of jail to go home to Libya.

Maybe Mr Brown didn't think, for even a fleeting moment, of all the people in Britain whose lives were badly affected by Teddy Kennedy's links with NORAID - who gave money to the IRA, which they spent on explosives, which they then used to blow up civilians in both Ireland and on mainland Britain.

So, no tears in the Rigby household for Teddy Kennedy, the last of the dynasty, and no tears that he didn't collect his honorary knighthood either.
.

No comments: